- This event has passed.
Thinking Green: Worm Farming
March 22 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Please note that this is a program for adults and young people aged 14 and over and is a presentation. Photographs and videos may be taken of the event. Please book one ticket for each person attending.
Learn how to use a worm farm to transform household food scraps into useful products for your garden.
Kevin Smith from The Worm Shed presents on all aspects of worm farming and the role worms play in recycling and waste management. This is followed by a demonstration of setting up and maintaining a worm farm.
Worm farm subsidy
The City of Swan offers residents and ratepayers a subsidy to get your worm farm going!
Worm farming is a simple way of converting food scraps and other organic materials into nutrient rich products for the garden.
• A ‘Worm Café’ worm farm including approximately 4,000 worms (1kg), 20 litres of castings for bedding, 500g dolomite, a worm blanket and a comprehensive instruction booklet.
• Unit cost is $245, subsidy is $125 and your price to pay is $120.
• 1kg of worms.
• Unit cost is $120, subsidy is $60 and your price to pay is $60.
• You may purchase a larger quantity of worms, but the maximum subsidy for worms only is $60.
To claim the subsidy:
1. Pre-order your worm farm when you RSVP for a City of Swan worm farming workshop.
2. Attend the workshop with proof of your address or a rates notice.
3. Pay in cash.
4. Collect your worm farm to take home, set up and enjoy.
For more information on the subsidy, visit www.swan.wa.gov.au/wormfarmsubsidy.
Thinking Green is a series of free programs hosted across the City’s libraries and community venues! To find out more and see the full list of workshops and talks, visit the City of Swan Libraries
For all inquiries contact the Sustainable Environment Officer on (08) 9267 9282